In this week’s episode of Beyond the Wrench, we are joined by Beth Rutter, President, E.A Rutter Management Consulting. Beth explains how to become a good leader, how people learn and what makes them different, and she gives advice on mentorship.
Watch the Full Episode
Becoming a Good Leader
- A lot of shop owners are thrown into leadership positions without any knowledge on leadership skills. They have experience fixing vehicles, but not managing people.
- There are some technicians who happen to be natural born leaders, but that’s very few, and tends to be a skillset people need to learn.
- Mentorship means mentees may have to fail. However, mentors need to show mentees what they did wrong in the past. If the mentee listens, they won’t have to make every mistake and can be better faster.
Understanding People’s Differences
- Everyone learns differently, and technicians tend to be kinesthetic learners who like to learn and work with their hands.
- We can’t put technicians in the same bucket and assume they are all the same. Every technician has their own unique interests and hobbies.
- Recognize what drives each employee, notice their differences, and figure out what motivates them.
Advice for Shop Owners & Managers on Mentorship
- Building a mentorship program and building a high performance team is not about the shop owner—it’s about the technicians working in the shop.
- Shops owners don’t need to know everything, but they need to be willing to invest the time and energy to show up for the people who are willing to do the work.
- The technicians in the shop need to be as invested in being a part of a successful team as the shop owner. Leaders need to empower their teams to be successful.
- Shop owners/managers have to invest in their technicians first before gaining their trust.
Learn more about WrenchWay Top Shops
Download the free WrenchWay app in the App Store or on Google Play:
- App Store: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/id1534587616
- Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wrenchway.insiders
About Our Host:
Co-Founder & President, WrenchWay
firstname.lastname@example.org | 608.716.2122
About Our Guest:
President, E.A Rutter Management Consulting
Truck Country & Stoops is the largest freightliner dealer group in the U.S. today, serving customers at locations in Illinois, Iowa, Indiana, Ohio, and Wisconsin. For nearly 60 years, they offered new and used medium and heavy-duty trucks, expert service, an extensive parts inventory, and more.
Follow the Beyond the Wrench Podcast
Don’t miss a single episode — follow to the Beyond the Wrench podcast! The Beyond the Wrench podcast is available on:
- Apple Podcasts
- Google Podcasts
- Amazon Music
- iHeart Radio
- TuneIn + Alexa
- And more!