In this week’s episode of Beyond the Wrench, Marcus Aman, CEO and Co-Founder of Bayley Service Intelligence joins us to talk about the tool he created to help shops measure data and increase profit, the importance of analytics, and the future of service work.
Watch the Full Episode
The Importance of Analytics & Customer Relationships
- There’s so much data shops can get lost in it. Shops need to think about the top three things they care about the most and what will make the greatest impact in the shop. Those are the things they really need to focus on.
- Service is more of a relationship business than transactional. When shops create relationships with customers, they’ll want to come back because they trust the shop.
- Shops try to get as many customers in and out of the door as fast as they can to drive profit. But, if they focus on their relationships with their customers, the money is there. The hidden profit is available with the certain customers. It’s about building a relationship, so they know the shop has their best interest when making recommendations.
- Shops have to do better at getting cars in faster and getting recommendations to the customer quicker. That way, technicians are happy because they’re turning in more hours and making more money.
Future of Service Work
- Shops need to evolve with the customers and how customers want to do business. If a shop doesn’t adapt, they’re going to lose business.
- The average car payment has hit $722/month. In the future, we’re going to see people hanging onto their cars longer. The average age of ownership will rise and customers will approve a lot more repair work.
- Technicians are in a good spot. This is a great career to be going into because they’re going to be very busy, turn more hours, and make more money. Because of the labor shortage, technicians can almost name the rate they want to be paid. Dealers and independent garages are going to have to fork out a little more to keep technicians.
- Having a strong business is the only way shops are going to get top talent. If shops don’t have a well-run, highly profitable service department, the chances that they’re going to get good people are going to the wayside.
- Young techs today want to interact with new tools, technology, and things that are easy to use and fast. They’re used to using their cell phones, and that is quick and easy. Think of Amazon: People can order something online and have it delivered to their house in two days or less. We live in an instantaneous world, and people want things immediately.
Learn more about WrenchWay Shop Talk
Download the free WrenchWay app in the App Store or on Google Play:
- App Store: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/id1534587616
- Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wrenchway.insiders
About Our Host:
Co-Founder & President, WrenchWay
firstname.lastname@example.org | 608.716.2122
About Our Guest:
CEO, and Co-Founder, Bayley Service Intelligence
The Zimbrick story began in 1965 when their founder, John Zimbrick, purchased a Buick franchise at the corner of Park and Regent Street in Madison, Wisconsin. John built his dealership around a philosophy he called “Loving Care Service” and the rest is history.
Today the Zimbrick family of dealerships has grown to 16 new car franchises. They have 20 service locations throughout Dane County, an additional store in Milwaukee as well as 3 award winning Body Shops.
Zimbrick is behind every errand, every road trip, every commute, every holiday visit, and every emergency. Their customers rely on them for safe and reliable vehicles to get them there and Zimbrick is always looking for talented individuals to help them in their mission.
Winner of Best of Madison and Madison People’s Choice Awards for 2022, Zimbrick is proud to serve its community. Visit the Zimbrick WrenchWay page to find out how you can join their team.
Follow the Beyond the Wrench Podcast
Don’t miss a single episode — follow the Beyond the Wrench podcast! The Beyond the Wrench podcast is available on:
- Apple Podcasts
- Google Podcasts
- Amazon Music
- iHeart Radio
- TuneIn + Alexa
- And more!