The research around the importance of using video for recruiting is insurmountable. A few things to consider:
- Video content on social media gets 1200% more shares than text and image content (G2Crowd).
- Job posts with videos get 800% more engagement (Talentlyft).
- People spend 2.6 times longer on pages that contain video (Wistia).
We recently sat down with Fred Gestwicki Jr, Owner & Master Technician, Fix-It With Fred in Canton, OH to talk about how video has played a critical role in their strategy for recruiting technicians.
Check out the full video and highlights from the conversation below.
Highlights From the Interview
Benefits of Video
- Video is for everyone, and it’s what people are paying attention to these days.
- Helps avoid wasting time during the interview process.
- Gives a better picture of what the shop culture is like—better than any sort of written description.
- Helps get candidates over the hump of “I’m scared to change jobs.” The more comfortable they can get with your shop before applying, the better.
Tips for Using Video to Recruit Technicians
- The goal with video is to try to get technicians as close to the decision to work at your shop before they even apply.
- Keep a link to your video(s) on your phone, so if you meet someone who might be a good fit for your shop, you can quickly text or email them the video.
- Video for recruiting is NOT a commercial. It’s all about story-telling. When giving a video tour of the shop, use slow panning and pause on certain areas you want to highlight.
- Know the qualities you want in an employee and your core values. Make sure to incorporate those qualities/values in your videos.
- For equipment, all you need is a phone and maybe someone to record the video with you. That’s really all it takes.
- Don’t try to sell your shop—Keep it real to attract the right people.
Ideas for Videos to Record
- Tour of the shop
- Features and benefits
- Anticipate questions technicians will ask in the interview and answer them in your video
- Testimonials from employees
- Explain different processes and procedures (i.e., test drives, inspections, diagnostics process, etc)
For more tips and examples on how to use video to recruit technicians, check out How Shops Can Use Video to Recruit Technicians