In this week’s episode of Beyond the Wrench, we are joined by Rachel James, Financial Advisor, Northwestern Mutual. We are discussing everything it takes to become a great shop. We are covering topics including generational gaps in the industry, common road bumps in a shop, looking at the big picture, tool investment, and much more!
Watch the Full Episode
How to Help Shops Become Better Businesses
- Start by looking at the big picture of the shop.
- Ask technicians, “What do you want most?”
- No matter how much you plan, things will go wrong. It’s all about having a plan and strategy to get you through those hard times.
Common Road Bumps in Running a Shop
- The best of the best shops are looking at their business daily.
- Shop owners aren’t always working in the shop. They are observing and trying to improve their processes.
- It’s all about the little details. Success is a natural consequence of doing the basics.
- Things change, and as your business grows, more problems arise. You need to have a plan in place.
Helping Shops Look at the Big Picture
- Create a vision with goals. Ask yourself, “Where do I see myself in 5-10 years?”
- Create an environment where change is welcome.
- You have to be creative in order to create an environment younger people are going to want to get into.
- How it’s always been is not necessarily how it has to be.
- Take a look at what’s working and what’s not working. Find the bottlenecks, and change the environment.
- Find an experienced technician to get advice from.
- You’ll lose sockets all the time. Don’t buy the most expensive ones.
- Pick and choose where you want to invest in your tools. Some items you’ll want to spend more money on, and others you can buy cheaper.
- Spend the money on the tools you’re going to use the most, and really take care of them.
- You don’t need every tool. Know your role and buy the appropriate tools that will allow you to succeed.
Create a Shop Environment That Attracts Younger People
Download the free WrenchWay app in the App Store or on Google Play:
- App Store: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/id1534587616
- Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wrenchway.insiders
About Our Host:
Co- Founder & President, WrenchWay
email@example.com | 608.716.2122
About Our Guest:
Financial Advisor, Northwestern Mutual
Follow the Beyond the Wrench Podcast
Don’t miss a single episode — follow to the Beyond the Wrench podcast! The Beyond the Wrench podcast is available on:
- Apple Podcasts
- Google Podcasts
- Amazon Music
- iHeart Radio
- TuneIn + Alexa
- And more!