In this week’s episode of Beyond the Wrench, we are joined by Madelynn Vant Hoff, Automotive Technician, Don Miller Subaru East. Madelynn talks about her experience as a young female joining the industry, what drove her to the industry, and the importance of having a mentor.
Watch the Full Episode
Progressing in the Shop
- New tech can learn a lot in the express area, and shouldn’t take that time for granted.
- Sometimes the work as a new technician can be a little monotonous, but it’s important to learn those skills.
- If something new comes into the express area, it’s important for a main shop tech to ask the young technician what they think is wrong and walk new techs through the process.
- Some young technicians try to rush into the main shop, and a lot of times they are over-confident with their knowledge.
Importance of a Mentor
- Mentorship is extremely important. Work at a shop where questions are accepted and not demonized.
- When asking a veteran tech a question, at first new techs may feel as if they are interrupting them, but it isn’t always like that. They’re almost always willing to help.
- If it’s slow in the express lane, walk over to the main shop and see what the technicians are working on and try to learn from them.
Young Female in the Industry
- The first week or two in the shop new techs will have the “newcomer stigma,” and sometimes feel the experienced techs are not taking them seriously.
- In the automotive world, especially with older technicians, there’s a mentality of, “I need to find a man to do this,” which is not true. Women are just as capable as men.
- Having a female role model in the shop is inspirational to young women who are interested in joining this industry, and shows them they’re welcome in the industry.
- Right now, almost every shop and dealership is hiring. If they’re not willing to hire women, they just cut down their workforce.
Download the free WrenchWay app in the App Store or on Google Play:
- App Store: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/id1534587616
- Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wrenchway.insiders
About Our Host:
Co-Founder & President, WrenchWay
firstname.lastname@example.org | 608.716.2122
About Our Guest:
Madelynn Vant Hoff
Automotive Technician, Don Miller Subaru East
Fullbay is an industry-leading software solution for Heavy-Duty Repair shops – this cloud-based app is loaded with features that will let you leave the shop for a long-overdue vacation.
Follow the Beyond the Wrench Podcast
Don’t miss a single episode — follow to the Beyond the Wrench podcast! The Beyond the Wrench podcast is available on:
- Apple Podcasts
- Google Podcasts
- Amazon Music
- iHeart Radio
- TuneIn + Alexa
- And more!