In this week’s episode of Beyond the Wrench, we are joined by Aaron Picozzi, President, American Diesel Training Centers. Aaron provides us with great insight on what qualities make a great performer. Aaron talks about how to find quality people, what it takes to be a successful mentor, and how to be a coach.
Watch the Full Episode
How to Find Quality People
- Change the paradigm of the industry and show kids the opportunities within this industry.
- There are people who are interested in working in this industry. It’s just a matter of going out there and finding them.
- The industry has changed, and we need to be adaptable. The students coming into the industry are not keeping up with job creation.
- Open up the industry to a wide variety of people. It is a male-dominated industry. Be proactive in opening the door for others.
- If possible, remove barriers such as time and money to find individuals who are willing to join this industry.
- A mentorship program can’t succeed without a process and high quality mentors. They have to work together to build success.
- Set clear expectations of what a mentorship program looks like, and communicate that with the shop.
- Providing a quality mentorship program shows that the shop is willing to invest in the future of their technicians.
- Not all technicians are meant to be mentors. If the weakest tech in the shop is a mentor, that can be a killer.
How to Be a Coach
- Set a strong process from the beginning. Be strict on expectations, and hold technicians to a high standard.
- Put the right people in the right seats when communicating and dealing with technicians and managers.
- Don’t be afraid to have open conversations. If there is a student with a poor attitude, talk with them. Ask what’s going on and if there is anything that can be done to help them succeed.
Learn more about WrenchWay School Connect
Download the free WrenchWay app in the App Store or on Google Play:
- App Store: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/id1534587616
- Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wrenchway.insiders
About Our Host:
Co-Founder & President, WrenchWay
email@example.com | 608.716.2122
About Our Guest:
President, American Diesel Training Centers
Diesel Laptops is your shop efficiency solution company. They do this through diagnostic tools, diesel technician training, repair information, parts lookup tools, and a call center staff with diesel technicians. Diesel Laptops is committed to working with you to find the right solution for your company that fits your needs and budget.
Follow the Beyond the Wrench Podcast
Don’t miss a single episode — follow to the Beyond the Wrench podcast! The Beyond the Wrench podcast is available on:
- Apple Podcasts
- Google Podcasts
- Amazon Music
- iHeart Radio
- TuneIn + Alexa
- And more!