In this week’s episode of Beyond the Wrench, we are joined by Dan Beakey, Service Manager, Colonial South Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram to discuss how you can use social media to show what makes your shop different. We discuss the importance of identifying what makes you unique and how that can give you a major advantage when hiring technicians.
Watch the Full Episode
Getting Out of Your Comfort Zone
- The industry is changing. You can’t just put a job ad out on indeed anymore.
- Show your personality on social media. Technicians want to see what it is actually like to work at your shop.
- We’re in a generation who grew up with social media. We have to adjust and reach them through there because that is where they are looking.
- The increased use of social media is now how business is, and that’s not going away anytime soon.
Identify What Makes You Unique
- Don’t say and do the same thing as everyone else.
- If you’re going to be away from your family at work, you have to create a fun environment.
- Make it a place where you don’t dread going to work. Technicians are looking for more than just hours.
- Be upfront and transparent about who you are and your weaknesses. If you lie, technicians are going to find out real quick.
- Social media provides you with so many opportunities to show the different personalities you have in the shop.
Creating a Change in the Industry
- If I have one open bay, it’s not a big problem. If everyone has an open bay, that’s a huge problem.
- The most important thing is to protect this industry and protect the image of this industry.
- We need to change what led up to the technician shortage because we obviously have an image for a reason.
- It’s not just one shop who has a technician shortage problem—it’s everyone having this problem.
Utilizing Social Media to Recruit Technicians for Your Shop or Dealership
Download the free WrenchWay app in the App Store or on Google Play:
- App Store: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/id1534587616
- Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wrenchway.insiders
About Our Host:
Co-Founder & President, WrenchWay
firstname.lastname@example.org | 608.716.2122
About Our Guest:
Service Manager, Colonial South Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram
Follow the Beyond the Wrench Podcast
Don’t miss a single episode — follow to the Beyond the Wrench podcast! The Beyond the Wrench podcast is available on:
- Apple Podcasts
- Google Podcasts
- Amazon Music
- iHeart Radio
- TuneIn + Alexa
- And more!